Assumptions

It is easy for me to assume that my blogs “tell it all” or think my readers should be able to piece it all together.  However, based off questions in emails I realize that much goes unsaid.  So my intentions are to answer some of those questions and let you know that more are welcome. 

Weather: when we first arrived to Papua the weather was intensely hot.  From about 11 until 3 or 4 in the afternoon, we would just drip in sweat.  Now we are in a windy, rainy season (normally dry and windy).  It can still get hot; yet the wind and rain helps cool things down.  The rain is very tropical in nature and will often enter our house.  Many days or nights we are moving furniture away from windows in our house and mopping up floors where the water is literally standing.  This is because we are using the front and back porch as “living space”.  When we move to our new home this should not be so much of an issue.

New home:  it is coming along.  Now there is a roof and all the interior walls are almost finished with the final layer of stucco.  The wires are in from roof to the place of the plug.  Our new home is on the complete opposite side of the campus that we now live on.  They are hoping by the end of May or mid June that we can move in.  I am trying not to get my hopes too high of moving in any time soon or at all, because one thing I am learning is that things usually don’t turn out how planned in Papua!  The land issues continue here, leaving life seem unsettled. 

Land Issues:  We are over 90 days now of no flying on this land.  The grass has been creeping up to thighs of men.  Bob, Darron and at times the boys have been trying to mow, getting it manageable   Usually after an hour or two (sometimes less) the trouble makers will run across the street with a stick and a nail.  They love to threaten and intimidate.  Earlier this week, Bob mowed in the dark for hours in hope that early one morning he can get his other plane out.  There is hope that within the next week or two this will all be resolved, but how long have we been saying that now?  Yesterday, an exciting incident happened while Darron was using the weed eater, but I promised not to tell his story.  So be checking his blog

 

Homeschool:  we continue to tackle school every morning.  The boys are good about doing all that I ask.  They will do achievement tests this next week at the international school.  Aubrey and Andrew are very serious about attending there next year, so we shall see how that all comes together or not.  Jacob and Nathaniel are happy to stay home with me and continue to learn here.  I am somewhat relieved at the thought of the older boys having a different learning challenge and yet if I need to, I will be happy to continue on. 

 

Training:  I will start this week training at the clinic.  I am thrilled to at last have a place to invest my medical love.  Also this summer I will take a 2 week class on tropical medicine.  Hopefully it will be available on line (still waiting to be approved), if not I will travel to West Virginia and attend.  It appears to be an excellent course aimed mainly at physicians (whew….hope I can keep up with all the sharp minds).

 

Annual Leave:  The boys and I will fly to America on June 13th.  Darron will follow on July 1st.  As time gets closer (it’s only 9 weeks away)  I will be contacting many of you for days on your calendar.  : )  Our biggest goals while home are to connect with family and friends.  Also we need to get our home ready to rent.  Figure out our computers or lack thereof.  Purchase homeschool material. Both Darron and I have 19 days of continuing education that we need to accomplish.  Oh yes, and to enjoy some fellowship and foods that we miss. : ) Have some R and R.  Do some shopping.  Soak in grand parent time.   We are wondering if we will drive properly upon return and if anything will seem strange to us?

 

Parrots:  they now have a nesting box, that they could care less about.  Everyday Andrew continues to train with them.  The male is doing quite well.  The female would rather bite, then cooperate.  Who knows if they will ever talk or have babies, but they do provide lots of entertainment to us as we eat and watch them out our dining room window.

 

Well let me not bore you any longer……  thanks for reading.  I have a feeling, it’s going to be an exciting week.  So check in again, next weekend and catch up on the latest in the Boyd family.   Please ask questions if I’ve made assumptions.  Until then…please continue to pray.

Comments

  1. Enjoyed your updates! Your tropical medicine class sounds really neat! I'm sure that will be helpful to you upon return. As for the parrots, your description of them is quite funny! :) So maybe your house will truly be ready after your furlough? ;) I'm sure you can hardly wait! Looking forward to reconnecting in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you are on the count down for furlough. The Farm is ready for you whenever you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annual leave? I am a bit jealous... :-) How long do you get to go home for? That is soooo great! We were four years here before we got to go home, but I think they shortened it to 3 years for this next time. Funny you talk about driving properly when you get home. When we visited your house, Carl was driving out and only realized about 10 minutes into the drive that he was on the wrong side of the road.... with all those hills and curves around your place, we could have had a serious accident. Thankfully no other cars had been on the road with us. Thank you Lord!! So yes, please be careful as you get used to driving on the "right" side of the road again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts