Return of the Wild

As I awaited news each day from the mountain jungle, I know many of you have been waiting for an update about Darron, Aubrey and Andrew.  I did not write sooner, because I heard nothing.  Daily, Bob, aviation staff, and I would check the radio to no avail.  One day, Darron did manage to get a call through to Bob on a borrowed satellite phone to say that they needed more supplies on pick up day for paying people to work on the runway….but that was all.  I did not anticipate the silence.  It caught me off guard.  I found myself having to push my “trust in the Lord” to a new level.

IMG_7966

IMG_7972

IMG_7973

Today was “pulang” (return home) day!  hallelujah   I handed Bob a cooler of treats (pumpkin bread, oranges, chips and ice water) to give to the guys at pick up time.  I was nervous as Bob left much later then he had planned.  The weather was not looking to good.  When their ETA (estimated time of arrival) drew near, Jacob and Nathaniel took off to their hanger on bikes and I asked the aviation staff to let me know when I should head down.  It was so delightful to hear the hum of the engine in the distant sky and know that my family was drawing near. 

They all looked great, dirty, with a mixed sense of relief and accomplishment.  They confessed to rarely bathing, because one would get almost as dirty after bathing (hiking up the mud path).  They had planned to do laundry and re-wear clean clothes.  Instead they skipped the laundry part and just re-wore the clothes.  They said the boiled water had the combined taste of wood, ashes and smoke.  So, they found it hard to drink a lot of it due to the flavor.  The food was fine.  At night the temperatures would drop to 50 F. 

P1000285

P1000312

P1000367

 

Darron learned and listened for hours as to what pastor’s need to feel more supported in these remote locations.  He also sat and listened for hours as the native people debated over various issues.  He stated that they get very loud and shout when they are debating and want to discuss different topics.  They didn’t know what to do with his great listening skills!!!! : )   Darron stated that Aubrey was eager to attack any problem.  Such as helping the local people understand the slope needing to be dug on the runway.  Andrew on the other hand, enjoyed hanging out with the children.  They both said they were glad they had gone.  Aubrey’s tummy healed fine and his sprained ankle struggled on the hike in, but is stronger now.

I know that many more stories will emerge as the week goes on.  Hopefully Darron will write a blog. 

The washing machine is working hard on all those muddy clothes.  Hot showers have been taken.  Tummies have been filled.  For now my wild at heart are content to be still at home.  Until the next adventure beckons them to return.

P1000468

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts