My concentration was shattered at language school this Friday a.m., as a text pinged in from Darron.  "Fever.  Respirations 42.  Having to lie down." As my language teacher explained the meaning of new words and expounded on the topic of the week, Alcohol, my mind struggled to stay focused.  I was out of Pulsa, in other words I had run out of money on my phone allowing me to text or call.  My mind was willing and praying that Andrew would hurry and do this chore for me.
Meanwhile the clock ticked.  I tried to focus on the discussion at hand.  Selly was telling me about all the different ways alcohol can be made locally here.  From the coconut tree to rats, baby deer and a few other special ingredients.  Augh!!!!  Really?  It's called "cap tikus". We read a whole article about it.  
An hour and 15 minutes into language school, I couldn't focus anymore
  What if Darron needed me to go get him?  He was 1.5 hours away putting the cap on the roof of a jungle chapel.  His goal was to be home by lunch.  I didn't like the sound of his breathing being so fast.  Apologizing to my teacher, I slipped out the door.
On my way home, I stopped in to check on one of our Dengue Fever patients.  They need close monitoring and she was home with an IV.  While I was assessing her, Pulsa dinged in on my phone.  Yes!  Andrew had made it to the little store.  After finishing up with the patient, I went out to my car and Darron called just as I was texting him.  He was breathing normal and said he was feeling well enough to wait for the 4 young men he had taken with him to finish the roof of the jungle chapel.  He thought if he drove slowly he could make it home.  He complained of an awful headache.
An Indonesian missionary serving where Darron was building offered to drive our car home.  Darron arrived before 2.  He went straight to bed.  I cancelled his engagement to speak at the high school graduation for the Adventist school the next day.
Darron was able to enjoy Friday evening supper with us.  In the night he complained of breaking a fever...... In the morning he didn't seem to bad.  At 2 his fever rose to 102.  A malaria rapid test confirmed our suspicions.  Medicine was given. Then 6:00 p.m. came.  Darron was shivering like crazy and asking for lots of blankets.  I piled them on and then just held onto his body shaking like crazy.  Eventually he asked to take a hot shower.  I handed him Tylenol while he tried to get warm in the shower. After he came out and was back under the mountain of blankets I placed the thermometer under his arm.  105.4 + add a degree!!!?!!  What??!!!  "Sorry honey, all these blankets have to go!". 
Cool wash cloth on forehead.  Fruit drinks.  Water.  Change the cloths.  Take medical phone calls.  Temperature dropping to 104.  Cancel Darron's speaking appointments for tomorrow.  Change the cloths.  
Next dose of meds due in an hour.  This is life in the tropics.  Darron says the mosquitos were really bad in Bate 10 days ago.  At least now in Bate stands a jungle chapel!!!!!
So thankful for accurate diagnostic tools, good medicine and access to Tylenol and prayer.  Please continue to hold Darron especially in your prayers as he presses hard and forward to sharing the compelling news that is foolish to those who don't know.


  1. I certainly do not miss getting malaria! Yuck! Amazing your little diagnostic tool! Wish we had had that years ago in Palawan! :-)


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts