We HAD to do something DIFFERENT

Furlough is a tricky balance of rest, family and friends, long shopping lists and medical appointments.  Throw in there: fun food, time with family, unspoken expectations, living out of suitcases, saying goodbye to your own flesh and blood after trying to launch them in a two week period and so, so, so, much more.  If I tried to describe it to you: you would probably either really enjoy each word, because you were there or are there OR you would be completely bored.  haha  The latter being more true!

The bottom line is often, OK like for the last five furloughs, I have returned back to our field assignment completely frazzled.  HHHMMMM????   What????  Furlough is supposed to equal REST. Something about living with other people for five out of the six weeks, didn’t give me the space and time that my personality needs to process and renew.

So last year, Darron and I began talking and recognized that we HAD to do something DIFFERENT.  If we were going to survive.  If we were going to run the marathon well. 

So this year, our sixth furlough, we finally did it right.  I guess maybe we are slow learners?  Or perhaps it was the reluctance to throw down a handful of money just for rest and space.  But we did. We rented a tiny yet delightful Airbnb apartment.  One bedroom and a complete kitchen and a lovely porch and even more lovely hosts.  It was located less than a mile from our University where Darron and I met, so with thousands of memories and a ton of expectation we booked it for three weeks. 

Everything that happened during that time of rest was not the way I had imagined it.  Darron had a broken rib and was in quite a bit of pain.  It was extremely difficult to say good bye to our two oldest sons.  Six of us piled in this place we called home times one week was hardly comfortable (the older boys worked at summer camp the first two weeks we were there). Even so it was just right!  Once again proving to me that hard and good can co-exist.

One of the blessings about having our own space was that people could come to us instead of us trooping all around.  So multiple meals and conversations and yes, MINISTRY and MISSIONS, was shared, right in that tiny little place.  Prayer ministry happened.  Tears were shed and I watched my friends begin to be healed.  And in the process I was renewed. 

I am so grateful that Jesus modeled rest.  He recognized that we needed it.  He needed it.

If and when we return State side, I have a dream to have several little simply furnished homes where missionaries can come and rest, for a very affordable price.  Many missionary organizations have “mission homes” for furloughing missionaries.  However in our church, this does not seem available.  Dreams come from the NEED to do something DIFFERENT.  I am grateful for this vision.

5FB71EE6-39B5-45B4-B75E-97206FF0B95F982FAA54-302A-4864-BE58-4DB9F8252DC0B1824A97-6043-4892-90F0-A1C24DA917D0ACCB19CC-5BAF-47FA-A558-C2E5CD65E7C6


A6079AB0-E8E4-43C2-BED9-2D2CBA2DA4C5 (1)24A3FCFB-DBC2-4E96-9A20-429436E07B05BC874239-EACD-4EE1-AE8B-16F0CA47DC10

Comments

  1. I am totally amazed at how you do this (Mandy too) and can not imagine ever doing it myself. I have a hard time just going for an overnight to a motel, and feel like we've been gone a month when it's actually only been one night. God bless all of you for the sacrifices you make in coming back as often as you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts