Skip to main content

Shadow of Death

You can probably recite the verse with me, ….”Yay, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”  This week has been one of walking through the valley of the shadow of death with my Papua friend, Ida.  I have always thought of this verse as pre death, but this week I have taken comfort in these words, in post death. (If you didn’t read last weeks blog here is the link:  http://iwillgoruth.blogspot.co.id/2017/10/anguished-hearts.html)


Every day I have been looking for signs of Jesus comforting her.  I actually have been surprised at the strength Jesus is giving her each day.  Oh……I’m not saying it is easy.  There still has been much weeping, sighing, grief, not understanding, lack of energy, not feeling well, but every day Ida has found hope and strength in Christ.

I feel like a cheerleader standing on the sidelines.  Encouraging.  Shouting words to inspire.  Flashing smiles and eye contact.  What a privilege to play a tiny part in being the hands and feet of Jesus.

On Thursday Jacob and Nathaniel had a mid day band concert at their International school.  I asked Ida if she would like to join.  On our way home, she told me it was like going to heaven for her.  All the beauty on our International campus.  I didn’t know something so simple, would be so refreshing for her.

   E63980B4-5EBD-4D0B-97D0-C2B4F687DF663E356C09-3BCB-4B6A-94AB-1D77FDD1D287

On Friday, Ida asked me if I would go with her to a counseling appointment.  It was painful to sit and hear the whole story of Azarya and how he died.  To listen to Ida weep again and hear the loss.  Then, the counsellor had her imagine every scene, like a photo in her mind.  She reminded Ida of every image, that Ida had shared.  It was difficult.    And then the counselor invited her to do it again, but this time, in every photo image, to ask Jesus where He was.  Oh, it was a hard activity……because Satan would like this young Mommy to believe that Jesus was not there.  “Yay, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.”  In every photo image, in Ida’s mind, she was able to see Jesus.

This summer I met with a long time friend, who is walking through a long long valley.  There were parts of her life that she wished were dead.  One being her marriage.  Together, through prayer, we recognized some of the truths about being in the valley.  It is more temperate there and less likely to be exposed to volatile weather.  Even though the valley is dry and difficult, there are patches of green grass and beautiful things.  She recognized that Jesus was with her in her valley and she was not alone.  

And so we walk. Friends in the valley. Side by side.  Believing.  Hoping.  Not understanding.  But looking continually to the One who gives life and takes life.  I’ve recently been struggling through some frustrating personal news, but my heart is so burdened for so many in the valley that I am hardly noticing my own pain.

Who can you reach out to today?  Who can be blessed by your presence?  Your intentionally thoughtfulness?  Your prayers and time?  There isn’t time to stare at our belly buttons.  There are too many people wandering in the valley of the shadow of death that need us to walk with them there.  Please have the courage to join them there.  You will be blessed as you become the hands and feet of Jesus. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Today (Wednesday, Nov. 1),  Darron and Gary were leaving on an afternoon flight to the Philippines.  The nicer of our two cars had just been picked up from the repair shop ( it was an alternator this time).  They are at that stage.  Always, something falling apart.  With the mission mobile, we can’t complain.  It is 21 years old!!!!  Darron just popped down to the hanger to fill up the tires with air and I heard him pip the horn at the gate, to indicate he was read to go to the airport.  Yet, he had a different message.  The tire needed repaired…..or more probably replaced. Groan.  There is ONE thing, I disdain as a woman and that is handling car problems.  It’s hard enough to do it in your home country and a language you are fluent in.  Try doing it in a foreign country.  Also to me, it is a MANS world.  If you want to plop me in my discomfort zone, tell me I have to get the car fixed.So off we drive.  Air hissing out of the tire.  The good news, my husband is by my side.  The bad ne…

Anguished Hearts

Image after image flashes through my mind.  I see little but “growing bigger and stronger” two and half year old Azarya coming towards me on the gravel runway.  Wanting to give me a high five and nothing warms my heart more.  Knowing that this is the little boy who drank his way back to life with goats milk.  More images of all over campus this little boy waving at me and smiling shyly, running and playing like normal children should.  Every time I saw him, I rejoiced in the second chance that Jesus had given him.  More images of being with his Mommy and Daddy and their JOY and gratefulness in Ayarya’s strength and change as he transformed before their eyes from being severely malnourished to vibrant.  Ida, his Mommy, is my closest Papua friend, and I see so many images of her and I chatting and laughing together and enjoying her new fat little baby boy, now two months old.  Despite that Ida was still morning the unexpected loss of her father and still mourning the loss of her first c…

And Just Like That…..It Is Finished!

Eleven and a half years is a long time.  Yet I honestly thought there was still five years left.  Unexpectedly, the long days and the short years came to an abrupt halt.  The commitment, the daily grind, the need to be extremely focused and scheduled Monday through Friday, 7:30 until 3 was taken away.  Or maybe it was given away?
I was passionate about it, fully devoted and yet burned out.  Doing something that was not my natural gifting and yet for my children, like most mothers, I would do anything.  Home school.  The early years were simple and yet muddled with ABC’s and 123’s were more babies and diapers and feedings and distractions.  How did that little boy Aubrey, learn so well?  Now he is months away from graduating and launching back into his passport culture.  His grade point average, is higher than a 4.0.  He had to teach me how that makes sense.  His younger brother Andrew, who stands taller than us all, also learned something in between re learning phonics in 3rd grade an…