What It Is or Is Not

I have to take the time to write a blog about the Post Office in Sentani.  It leaves me shaking my head every time I venture there.  When we hear word that we should expect a package from America then we start dropping in at the post office to check upon it’s possible arrival.  One simply goes to the back room where all the packages are received and are being sorted.  The goods from America are sorted and logged into a book by hand.  Then it appears they are all put into a locked cabinet in the corner.  If  something comes in an envelope it should arrive in about 2 weeks.  If the items are sent in a box, it can take up to 6 months.  Also we pay random prices on packages.  If it is small it may cost very little, but some friends have paid over $30 dollars to claim a package.

There is no privacy.  We, the foreigners, are allowed to look through the log book.  If boxes are on the floor we can read labels and rummage through the disorganized chaos.  Bags and bags of mail are sitting around.  Not sure if it is still to be sorted, or waiting to depart.  Many workers are milling about, doing not much of anything.  Smoking and chewing beetle nut is allowed in the sorting area.  I was just imagining in America how every time you send a package you are asked if it contains anything “fragile, liquid…..”  That is not relative here.

When I stopped by on Friday, it was confirmed by looking at the log book that indeed a package was waiting for us.  My heart was slightly excited at the thoughts of taking a package home to the children.  Only for my emotions to plummet as the man proceeds to tell me that the man with the key has already gone home and will not return until tomorrow (this is 1:45 in the afternoon).  I leave musing about leaving the key with co-workers when going home.  I have simple answers to most of my culture shock problems!!!! : ) 

Darron asked us the other day if there is anything in Papua that is the same as America.  We could not come up with anything other then basic human needs and emotions.  Certainly, the post office is not the same.  Why compare?  I must accept the post office for what it is or is not.  I will never take for granted mail delivered to my door and picked up at a mail box close to my house and so crossing cultures changes the foreigner in so many facets of life.  Even something as simple as receiving mail.

Several weeks later:  I am updated you!  We did finally receive a small padded envelope from Aunt Darla and family.  It was mailed on Feb 1st from the states and arrived 2 1/2 months later.  It had clearly been opened and there were rat bites in the CD/DVD covers.  Evidently some candy was in the package and it was just too big of a temptation.  (Thanks Wolf family…..we loved all the little things you slipped in there, that the rat didn’t eat..haha).  Also we received a box of goods from The Little family!  It was full of many thoughtful items and we felt spoiled.  It came in about 3 weeks and had candy untouched.  So the results were so different!  One never knows….

We rejoice that we have internet and blogs to carry news to and from.  For the mail service is more “not” then “is”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts