Worms, Cockroaches, and Lizards

We Americans are used to thinking about having to deworm our pets, but to deworm our kids (and the parents too) pushes the comfort zone of our American minds.  Here in Papua it is recommended that every 3 to 4 months each family takes worm medicine.  Darron was noting that within several hours of eating he was ravenously hungry again and again.  Shortly after his treatment of worm medicine he noted a long tape worm that had exited his body.  Wrap your mind around that!  So not only do we think about worms in our bodies, but they also LOVE flour.  I try so hard to buy the bags of flour that look worm free.  Inevitably, bags come home with worms.  Usually I will sift the flour if I am suspicious.  But I must admit there are times I am too busy and in the worms must go.  Wrap your mind around that!  So the beans, legumes, seeds, flour, oats, popcorn, cashews (in the stores) can just be crawling with bugs.  I am so looking forward to going to an American grocery store and not having to inspect the packages for worms or bugs.  And don’t worry we are freshly dewormed, so should not be bringing any “cooties” with us!

Cockroaches love my kitchen.  Their favorite drawers are the kitchen utensils,kitchen towels, Tupperware, and the pots and pans.  My reaction time seems to decline to slow motion when I open a draw or cupboard and see a roach.  The first thing that comes to my brain is, “A roach, quick get something to squish it, oh the shoes are across the room.”  By that time the disease carrying monster has crawled into the far dark corners of unseen places.  So almost every dish that comes out of the cupboard has evidence of roach roaming and must be washed before use.  Oh to use a dish without worrying about roaches.  A friend let me know that here in Papua we don’t judge each other if we have roaches or not, because everybody does.

Almost every time I am sitting leisurely in my home, reading or writing, some little bug is crawling on me.  Usually an ant.  I am looking forward to 10 weeks of no bugs crawling on me when I am relaxing inside a home.

Lizards live in our houses.  They are part of the decor.  Coming and going as they please.  Here they are called chichaks and often let out a little chattering sound.  For the most part they are helpful as they feast on other bugs.  They leave their droppings everywhere.  Which look similar to a mouse dropping.  So when we first moved here, I thought we had mice.  Now I know, we just have chichaks!  The lizards are small, usually 2-4 inches and are really quite entertaining as they hunt.  At times we have watched 2 lizards attack each other, as they will eat their own.  I was most entertained when my mother wrote me and told me about the “lizard” in their home.  So with her permission I will tell you her story:

 

The email was titled: “Don’t laugh”

“Have to share this with you….I spotted a lizard in the living room today!  Yikes!!!  Armed with brooms, buckets and Windex (Dad’s favorite ”tool”) the Daring Duo went into action.  Later we added the shop vac and flashlight to our weaponry….. finally about an hour later the said lizard (it was HUGE….at least 4 inches!) was sucked up in the vacuum, then released outside with it’s tail shortened and it’s little body breathing heavily!  This is S. Carolina friends….. not Papua, Indonesia.”  Sorry Mom, but I am still laughing! 

 

So just wanted to bring you a little tropical update on the worms, cock roaches, and lizards that take joy in bringing added “life” to my days.  We could keep the “Daring Duo” in full time work around here.  So Dad, when you come, pack the Windex!  It’s hard to find here……

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts