Blood Sisters

My phone rings.  It’s the midwife.  My heart always skips a beat when she calls, because GENERALLY speaking in Papua, we don’t call, we text.  She tells me that there has been an urgent case with an expatriate woman and O negative blood is needed.  Midwife and school nurse are rummaging through all the charts trying to figure out who in the mission community is O negative.

 

They discovered 7 of us.  I happen to be one of them.  Meaning we are universal blood donors and anyone can receive our blood.

IMG_20151217_092935

 

The next morning, 3 of us meet Dr. Di at the hospital right behind our home.  The O negative Party was on!  There is strength in numbers and it really was comforting to do this “first” donation (for me in Papua), amongst friends.  Also a great way for me to learn the system.

 

IMG_20151217_090840IMG_20151217_091414IMG_20151217_092219

 

 

Natalie had a donor card.  She had already donated here in Indonesia.  Dave and I were envious of her pink card status and asked if we could have donor cards too???!!  Of course we could.

I use to donate blood in America.  My mind flashes back: I remember the nice room with deluxe padded recliners.  I remember that the blood rocks back and forth on a special rocker while being collected.  I remember a/c or heat depending on the season.  I remember nice snacks, tee shirts, even free drawings to entice more blood giving.  My mind clears all of that to take in the environment around me.  A metal framed hospital bed with no sheet.  We did note some liquid cleaner nearby.  Natalie went first.  Not long after the needle had been inserted, and the bag dangling near the flood was filling, Dr. Di whispered to me about the wasps flying under the hospital bed to an unseen nest.  The door and windows were open to let in the hot tropical morning air and let in and out the wasps who were happy to be sharing the room.

 

IMG_20151217_091337IMG_20151217_092107

 

 

Meanwhile, Dave gets on the long narrow wooden bed and starts his donation gift.  On both Natalie and Dave’s blood donor bags the lab technician had written O+, and Dr. Di had to politely correct them. “O negative!!!!”  I am last to donate.  Our blood will be checked for malaria and AIDS as part of the lab protocol. 

IMG_20151217_092025IMG_20151217_093305

 

A green bean drink is offered as refreshment.  Natalie and I pass.  Dave accepts. My friends leave, as Western time clocks demand much attention.  I lay back and relax as much as possible on my wasp nest hospital bed.  Soon it is time for me to go.  I’m asked if they can call me whenever they need blood.  Sure!  Why not?!  I leave with my pink card and the promise to give more blood.

On my way out, I follow a lady in a similar bed to the one i had laid in, being pushed down the hallways.  She is being transported.  I take in the awaiting ‘ambulance’ and subtly snap a picture.  Hoping that i will never have to ride in one of these vehicles.  

 

IMG_20151217_095108IMG_20151217_095116

 

That afternoon our blood is taken to another hospital and transfused into a lady in need.  “Does that mean we are blood sisters?”  Natalie asked.  I think so! : )  What a neat thing, that we can help save life by sharing our blood.  Can you give? I’m sure the Red Cross would be happy to see you.  Who knows, you may even get a nice recliner chair and a free tee shirt.  Or maybe there will be a nest under your donor bed!?!

Comments

  1. Awe, crazy stories of medicine in developing countries. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it all to well! Soon you can tell me some of your stories. It will be fun to compare our 3rd world lands.

      Delete
    2. You know it all to well! Soon you can tell me some of your stories. It will be fun to compare our 3rd world lands.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts