All Alone…..At Last

I think it has been over a month since I have been completely, 100% all by myself.  At last this divine moment has arrived.  I have 2 hours, in the comfort of my home to do whatever I choose.  No, “Mom, where are you?”  Nothing….just me and my “old” music.  It would still be too modern for my parents, but one of the older boys said it was “annoying him” the other day.  Mercy me!  And I try to be very tolerant of their new little bebop tunes.  But that is ok….because there is nobody here to judge my music or my activity.  I’m alone and my soul is drinking in the brief solitude.  The reprieve from meeting 5 other individual needs, constantly.

I wanted to share some of my sacred time with you.  Selfishly, because it is therapy for me to write and reflect.  Honestly, because it does my soul good to share. 

The weeks are just running into each other as life is full and brimming.  I have never been a soccer Mom.  So all you Mom’s out there, who are used to running your kids here and cheering for them there….already know the intensity.  I have now joined the league.  The guys are loving the challenge and learning so much about ATTITUDE, TEAM SPIRIT, INFLUENCE, LEADERSHIP, etc.  I did not know that a “game” would teach so much.  For those of you who have been doing this for years…..you are shaking your heads saying, “We know Ruth, we tried to tell you…..” 

A huge goal was accomplished last week.  Darron and I now have valid driver’s license for Papua.  Amazing!  After driving here for almost a year illegally.  It feels good to be lawful.  It cost us almost 3 times the normal price to accomplish this.  I’m sure we paid for the police to have a lovely lunch out that day.  We didn’t have to take the written test.  The corruption of the power of money.  It is at every level in this country.  Now our next goal is to get our vehicle legally registered here in Papua.  A contact has just been made with a gentleman who has lot’s of experience importing cars.  So steps are being made in the right direction.  I actually have started to really enjoy driving here now. It is a constant challenge, but I have relaxed so much.  I can still get really annoyed when a vehicle is driving straight at me on my side of the road or motor cycles pull directly in front of me or people walk in front of the car when I am looking down the road to pull out onto the street.  Driving in Papua…..never boring.

 

Just hopped up to make a cup of Chai tea…….oh life is sweet!  It is not often that I feel cool enough for tea.  The sun has set and I am quite cool under the whirling ceiling fan.   Speaking of being cool, we have reached another comfort level in Papua.  We now have one room that is air conditioned.  Complete luxury!  The blessing of this, is there are many things that if not stored in a cool room in time will  simply ruin.  For example:  books, medicines, food goods, paper’s, on and on…..  So I am feeling very spoiled.  The children have been playing hours of Monopoly today, drinking in the cool air in our a/c room.  We learned last night at the fall concert, featuring World War II songs, that the game Monopoly saved many, many lives in prison.  You’ll have to Google that one!

This week I went solo at the clinic.  Meaning no longer was I just shadowing the Dr., but now was the one diagnosing and advising to the best of my ability.  I thought that I would just be there on Monday, but it turned out that I was there by chance on Wednesday for an hour (a girl was present having seizures from Malaria and three of us nurses were busy working with her) and on Friday.  Monday I only saw one patient, but that was OK because Mandy and I are redoing the filing system and redecorating the clinic also.  Nothing has been done to the place since it has been built……no idea how many years????  I would guess at least 15???  So new paint job, curtains, furniture, inspirational wall art, organization, tossing, cleaning are all in order.  We are enjoying the process of transformation.  Friday, I saw at least 10 patients.  Ranging from several cases of malaria to a boil full of purulent drainage to a handful of sports injuries.  It was all very stimulating. 

The dogs have settled in so nicely.  We love them.

The boys only have 3 days at school this week and then we break for Thanksgiving.  Usually the American holidays are not acknowledged because then we would have to acknowledge every holiday that is represented at the international school.  However, this year, many of the teachers are off for additional training.  So none of us Americans are complaining.  Unfortunately,  Darron’s work is not acknowledging our American holiday and he will be at year end meetings in Manado through the weekend.  So we must carry on, without him to celebrate with us.  I hope to find some families that are heading to the beach and join them.  : )  Don’t want to sit around and fill sorry for ourselves!  Perhaps we can connect with some Americans that maybe are here as singles and are not appreciating “alone time”.

My alone time is quickly drawing to a close.  My tea is almost all gone.  Soon 4 hot sweaty boys will walk through the door ready for supper.  And one hot good looking man will walk through the door also.  Thanks for sharing this time with me.  I always love to look at my blog stats and see where people are reading from and the articles that get the most hits.  It is comforting to know that you all are out there.  Following our lives.  Praying for us.  We are so grateful for the team of people that hold us up in prayer and love.  May you and yours have a delightful Thanksgiving.  May your heart be overflowing with peace and joy for the goodness that has been bestowed on you. 

Blessings! 

 

20120725x52

Comments

  1. So nice to get a newsy update from you! :-) I LOVE those alone hours too and I have totally been one of those soccer moms for the last 2 years and it gets a little insane! Especially since I have ballet mom in my repertoire too! :-) Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt your relaxation in this creation. BTW your blog is being enjoyed in Sao Paulo, Brazil by a friend of mine that is a teacher and also in a wheel chair. Tania commented to me that she enjoys your blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts