Angels in our Midst

I had my list of needed items.  I was ready to conquer the shopping in one stop.  My hopes were set on the store that we have labeled the “Smiley Store”.  That is not it’s name.  But that is what we call it.  Often you can find all kinds of miscellaneous goods in there.  I scanned the aisles and walked out with not one thing on my list.  I was discouraged.  I had 4 days to prepare the crafts and props needed to teach 15 kindergarten and younger pastor kids at their retreat.  Would I find what I thought were very simple items anywhere in Papua???!! 

I went home.  I prayed.  I gave it to God.  I mourned Home Depot, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart and the Dollar Store.  I longed for a nice budget like I always had in our churches in America.  I was guaranteed NOTHING.  I talked with Jan. 

Tuesday, I discovered that all those peanut butter jars that I have been saving would make perfect jars for the sand that Jacob, Nathaniel and I were coloring.  My friend Mandy gave me happy fabric for Bible head dresses.  I discovered that I had a role of magnet strips that would work to make fish and long strong straws that could work as fishing poles.  Oh yes and tucked away was blue tulle that had come in our sea crate…..that would make great fishing nets.  I found long skewers that had also came from America, I chopped off the pointy end and decorated with ribbons the colors of the rainbow.  Nancy and I shopped on Tuesday and creatively found what we needed to make this program happen.  She would teach the 20 primary aged children.  We did it all for $30.00 (2 days of programs).  Whew!!!!  A sock puppet sheep was made.  And more sheep crafts were in the works.  Fish made out of Styrofoam……. whew…… the weekend was coming too fast!!!!!

 

Friday came.  5 adults and 5 children piled into my legal van.  Only us in the front seats were buckled.  There are no buckles anywhere else.  The babies were held on laps.  Nursed when needed.  No car seat fuss.  Prayers are uttered.  Protection is always needed.

 

Most of the pastor families were camping at the beach for this 4 day retreat.  Lalah, Nancy and I had agreed to do the children’s program.  We had opted to drive (almost 2 hours one way) because we did not want to camp.  I marveled at the nice tents.  I wrinkled up my nose at the one bathroom, squat potty, no running water inside. SIGH (one thing that will never be a “normal” to me is the Indonesian bathrooms).  Jacob and Nathaniel, jumped right into the ocean with all the children and loved playing with them. 

 

P1010004

P1010010

 

Our programs were well received.  The pastor wives, oohed and awed over the magnetic strips on the fish.  I had orders for many.  I took a bag full of tin cans, plastic containers and for the first time…..taught the children how to make sand castles.  They were thrilled.  Every craft they were delighted with.  I take for granted that I have internet in my home and it is so easy to Google for any idea that I need.  For many of them, this is pure luxury.

 

P1010022

P1010026

 

Friday afternoon I arrived home to see Bob taking off in the plane, which was unusual, this late in the day.  A few hours later, the on campus phone rang for Darron to say that one of the 1,000 missionary students was at the hanger needing to talk with him.  A few minutes later Darron came back to the house, hollering for me.  That this student needed his blood checked for Malaria.  In walked Billy, holding his head. Bob had fetched me out of a remote location. Rather then go running around town to get his blood checked, I simply ran a test at home.  Within 20 minutes, it was confirmed that Billy had Tropika malaria.  Darron went and bought the meds and treatment was started.  We decided that Billy would stay with us, in case he needed anything in the night or his condition declined.

Saturday morning we were off again.   This time, with lots more room in the van.  Only 2 adults and 5 children.  Lalah and I were able to talk freely.  She is Filipino and married to a Papuan pastor (whom I call Darron’s Papuan angel).  I heard my sermon on the way to the camping site this morning.  Not because anyone was preached to me.  Just Lalah was sharing how 6 non-family members are staying with them right now.  How they provide all the food for them.  Often, she said they run out of money for rice and vegetable.  But she said that the Lord always provides for them.  I asked her if she ever got tired of all these people living with her.  She was so hesitant to even admit that sometimes she has to ask God for strength.  She went on to say that with young children and not able to do much outside of the home, that she feels that this is her way of serving the Lord right now.  It was the most powerful and heart convicting sermon I have heard in a long time.  Yet, it is just her and Desmond’s LIFE!

P1010017

Lalah and I ended up coming home early (leaving Nancy to finish the children’s program).  Because, at the Adventist school there would be a question and answer time, following up on a talk I gave on Thursday on “dating” and a sermon Darron gave this morning on “Sex, a beautiful gift”.  Pastor Desmond really wanted me to be there to answer the teens questions.  There was time to lie down for 10 minutes, grab a quick shower and off to the church Darron and I went.  It was packed with young people.  There were 5 of us, on a panel.  The questions were so honest and candid that at times I felt embarrassed.  They were so HUNGRY for truth and the challenge, to remain pure until marriage. 

P1000998

P1010029

Wow….. so here I sit.  Debriefing with you.  Thankful that I can check all of this off my list to do and return my focus to home.  Billy was playing the guitar this evening, instead of holding his head.  The boys are all continuing to thrive.  Darron will leave on Monday, for a week away.  Tomorrow I hope to do something that will renew my tired but fulfilled soul.  And I am challenged by the “sermon” I heard this morning from my dear friend Lalah.  Angels in our midst.

 

P1000978

I HAVE SHRUNK!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts