Finishing Well

The Sunday before last, I returned from the market with my two friends (who don’t have cars) tagging along, to find myself at a scary place.  I was suddenly completely overwhelmed.  I crawled into bed and asked one of the younger boys to go and get Daddy.  The thought of having to fix another meal from scratch was just beyond me.  All the veggies needed to be bleaches before put away.  There was laundry to get in.  Our guest needed malaria medicine, because he was not tolerating the first type of medicine that we had tried on him.  Darron had already tried two pharmacies and could not obtain it.  Darron was leaving the next day for a week.  I was spent.  There was nothing left……….

 

Darron quickly appeared on the scene, because I never summon for him like this.  He very wisely told me that he would go and buy Indonesian food for lunch.  And that I could just rest.  So for two hours I fell into a restless slumber.  Upon waking, I at least felt that I could wash the veggies, get the laundry in and move on with the day.  Yet, I knew that I had been warned.  I would have to pace myself better for this race that I want to finish.   That night I went to the dental clinic to assist Bob with a major filling repair job on my dear friend Mandy.  I didn’t really help Bob that much, because everything was so new to me.  The instruments, the setting, the procedure, the equipment, etc. etc.  It was a challenging job to start with, but what made it extra challenging is that Mandy had taken an anti anxiety pill (you would want one too, if a pilot was doing you dental treatments.  Actually, he did a fantastic job).  She was so sleepy and out of it that getting her mouth to stay open and her arms from not falling off the chair sides was my biggest job.  And has made for great entertainment and laughter after the fact.

 

These last few weeks have been so intensely busy for me.  Between homeschooling, speaking at the retreat, helping at the clinic and on call, providing activities for the pastor’s retreat, all the driving and prep, no mind all the normal duties, trying to be supportive to the stresses Darron faces…..it all added up.    I share this because I think that missionaries are put on a pedestal.  We are seen as some strong, amazing people.   Our adventurous life is idealized.  But we are so human and so normal, it is not even funny.

So this week I have chilled out.  Getting home projects done that I have longed to do for months.  All the boys had standardized testing this week at the International school.  So there was no need to homeschool this week.  I so needed the break.  The office got rearrange.  I painted scripture on the walls.  I got dirty ceiling fans cleaned.  I met with friends and pressed on.  Not running, but walking and still moving.

While I am being so vulnerable, let me tell you about a few weeks ago.  I haven’t done anything to my hair since leaving the States last August.  So I decided that I would go and get highlights in JayaPura.  I knew that several others had, with good results and the price was great, $20 verses $80-$100 in America.  Lets just say, that if I comb my hair the wrong way……. 

 

 

P1010052

 

       yeah, that is not the sunlight.  Those are stripes!!!!!   I’ll add it to my list of things not to do again in Indonesia!!!! : ) ha.

 

Another things that I have done this week is post my weight and calorie intake chart on the fridge.  I have had a lingering, annoying 10 pounds since Nathaniel was born.  He is now 8 years old.  How long will I hang on to this unwanted flesh?  Why am I shy to allow my family to be my accountability?  I know they will do a super job at it!!!! : )  I am not revealing anything by posting these desires, I mean they can see my body each day and watch me stick an extra serving of desert into my mouth.

 

So there you have it.  From crashing. To bad highlights.  To needing to loose 10 pounds.  I’m feeling better and I plan to finish well.  10  pounds lighter.  Learning to pace myself.  Leaning more on the Lord.  The missionary willing to say, “I don’t have it all together”.  Hair growing out, with stripes.  How much farther to the finish line?  Come run “well” with me.

Comments

  1. Oh my dear friend... I soooo understand you! Thanks for sharing your triumphs and your struggles. I love your stripes! So glad you got some time to paint and relax a bit! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts