Flip Flops, Logistical Nightmares, My heart

Despite having 6 to 8 boys running through the house this week,  I did steal away on Monday for 1/2 a day to volunteer at the clinic and feed my soul with some medical grown up time.  It was another great morning of learning.  Saw everything from funky rashes to Dengue to Giardia to dizziness to laceration to fevers and more rashes to menopause to well baby check to …….  I was humored as Dr. Di’s teenage daughter came in to assist and ran around the clinic all morning barefooted.  Then at one point I found Dr. Di not in her shoes either.  Later I brought her flip flops to her and commented that she was the first Dr. I have worked with in 20 years that has been barefooted!  At another point in the morning her daughter and I were having a terrible time getting the CBC (complete blood count) machine to work and after 3 pokes to myself and reading the instructions we finally had success.  We laughed and told Dr. Di that her help was only as good as she paid for (we are volunteers).  Fortunately she has a great humor, is very patient and loves to teach.  I know I will thrive under her mentorship.

The logistics of one of the new missionary families here is mind boggling to me.  They have 5 children and baby #6 is on the way.  They want to have a home birth; however, Dr. Di emphasized that delivering a baby in Papua is not a valid option.  If complications were to arise for the mother (no mind the baby), the mother’s life would be jeopardized.  The airline cut off date is 32 weeks for a pregnant woman.  So this family has to “move” somewhere else in Indonesia for over 8 weeks.  Talk about a logistical nightmare.  And I was stressed about finding someone to spend one night when baby #4 was on the way……  

Our Visa’s have humbly reminded us that once again we have to give control to others and TRUST.  This week we have been nervous about the outcome of our visa’s as papers were still be gathered from Jakarta.  We thought this would be finger printing week, almost resolved week……. The tough part is Darron left  today and will be gone 10.  Putting him back here 3 business days before the boys and I fly.  So as soon as he gets back we will be driving to JayaPura for fingerprinting and praying and believing that we will then have the right visa’s and time enough to obtain our exit/reentry visa’s.  It may mean that the boys and I leave on an exit only visa and have to apply in the states for reentry.  I did tell Darron, “I want to come back here!”  So if nothing else this visa situation has revealed my heart.

The boys are doing great.  Enjoying each other’s company.  The river behind our locked gate has been a great outlet for building dams and today they found artillery from the Japanese.  A true find.  I feel for Matthew and Kinley as they are having to put up with cold showers, squat potties, different food and their parents far away.  Now that Darron is gone, I am ready to have only 4 boys in my care, but doctors and airlines are not asking me when the parents should return. 

IMG_1418

We opened Aubrey’s cast yesterday and cleaned.  Today I was more aggressive and removed all the bloody tape and gauze.  His finger looks great with no signs of infection, little swelling and good color.  In 4 more days we can begin range of motion.  Jacob does not complain of his tailbone anymore.  Andrew is not playing soccer for a  few days because he keeps reinjuring his toe (they play barefoot).  You can tell that I have a house full of boys! 

IMG_1529

 

 

Thanks for your prayers.  Please continue to pray: specifically for strength to watch 6 boys, visa issues to be resolved, safety and success to Darron’s  trip, land issues to be resolved peaceably and healing to continue with the boys.  Many, many thanks.  I will see many of you in just under 2 weeks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts