drama, Drama, DRAMA

We were out the door by 7:50 a.m., adrenaline flying in at least 3 out of 6 of us.  Today (Sunday) was to be the first drama performance of our drama group.  Also, it was my scheduled week to be on the praise team for the church for missionaries.  One of my heart desires when we moved to Indonesia was that I could find a group that would allow me to sing praise songs with them.  In August that prayer was answered.  Our praise team consists of 4 vocalist and a variety of instruments (mainly high school students), it has been wonderfully refreshing to me.  We are one of 6 groups, so the rotation is not too demanding or taxing. 

I found myself nervous for the guys performing.  I am so learning with them, as I have done extremely little with drama before…..other than watch it and love it.  Their first skit went off as planned.  It had a pointed message and was received well.  Then they had to wait about 20 minutes until it was time to perform the next two.  They said that waiting that long was really difficult.  The second skit about ignoring the Holy Spirit and also went over really well…..then they moved into another one which we had written ourselves………  let’s just say a few lines were forgotten and …… well……we learned a lot from it! : )  I was thrilled with their performance and I think by getting on stage early in our time together, it will help them to hone in on their skills, etc.

By the time we reached home, Aubrey was complaining of feeling achy all over.  I didn’t think too much about it, because with soccer season and their crazy growth spurts…..”achy all over” is a frequent complaint.  However after about 30 minutes later…..when the complaint included fatigue and not wanting to eat lunch, out came the trusted thermometer.  101 F.  The drama continues.  At first I decided we would just treat Aubrey for flu symptoms.  However, an hour later, when the Tylenol didn’t seem to take the edge off, I decided to test for Malaria.  A few drops of blood and 5 minutes later, we had our 2nd case of Malaria diagnosed.  Thankful for trusted drugs, treatment has begun and my patient is “resting comfortable, with no apparent signs of distress”. (ha!  one of my favorite lines to write about patients in nursing notes)

P1000059

(The malaria test, comes in the little package in the middle of the photo.  The cut up cans are a project we are working on, trying to make some airplanes out of soda cans.

 

To add just a bit more drama to the day, Darron spent a few hours running the router on thin strips of board that will be used for the kayak.  He was not acting, when he yelled out, “Ruth come quick, I need you NOW!”  I could see him holding his finger and pain etched across his face.  I grabbed a blue surgical cloth and ran to meet him.  Fortunately, the wound was not to deep and Betadine, antibiotic ointment and Band aids should do the job.

Then to top the drama off for the day, I was called on to assist with Jan and Bob’s dog.  Thursday afternoon, the dog made a strangled yelp.  Shortly after that she could not walk.  Friday afternoon, the Roberts’ took the dog to the vet who diagnosed it with hip dysplasia.  Which we all think was an incorrect diagnosis because the dog is 2 or 3 years old with no, and I mean NO, previous symptoms of any hip problems.  The vet gave the dog a shot of vitamins and sent them on their way.  Saturday, we were sure that we were about to loose Lucy as she was burning with a fever, still no movement and was panting so fast.  However, after the water hose ran on her and hydration fluid was dripped down her throat she calmed down.  We also injected her with Penicillin.   Today, Lucy is moving about more with her front paws and head.  Her breathing is normal.  Antibiotics are continuing.  Jan and Bob wanted me to assist with an IV.  Nothing like Googling, “How to start an IV on a dog”.  There is an incredible video on exactly how, and it looked so simple.  Jan and Bob had clipped the hair for me.  Bob had constructed an IV pole.  A prayer was said and in went that IV just like the video showed. 

P1000055

P1000057

P1000056

It’s time to give Aubrey his next dose of Malaria meds and then I must go to bed.  That’s all the drama I can handle in one day.  Thanks for reading and praying. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts