Love and Hate Rodeo

Its Saturday evening.  We’ve just finished a lovely week with the Ashworth side of the family in Breckenridge, Colorado.  Not liking to travel far on our day of rest we spent the day at Campion Academy where a camp meeting was held.  For me this was a taste of heaven as I met my friend DeeAnn.  DeeAnn and I have prayed for each other’s children over email for approximately 4 years.  This was our first time to meet in person.  It was SWEET.  Very neat to have DeeAnn tell my children, “I pray for you”.  I look forward to telling her boys that one day.  YES!

2014-07-26 12.41.14

Then we drove less then 3 hours, to get out of the Denver area.  Darron had pre booked our motel at the LAST town in Colorado where there was ANYTHING.  BURLINGTON, Colorado.  Even the check-in guy at our motel admitted that he was culture shocking in this town after living there for only 5 weeks.  Wanting to grab a little bite to eat, I popped back into the office to see what our culture shocking friend would recommend.  His face lit up and he stated, “Well actually, this weekend there is a Rodeo in town.  There will be all kinds of good food over there.”

 

We didn’t even tell our guys where we were going.  I could feel the resistance before we even admitted what we were looking into.  I was imagining a Rodeo show (of which I have never been too), some nacho’s and cheese, and funnel cakes (all American Rodeo food).  We pulled into the parking lot, less then 2 or 3 miles from our motel and could hear the crowd cheering.  I think all the town of 4,000 people in Burlington was here.  After all, we were nowhere. 

Knowing that ANYTHING times six adds up really fast, cost was a concern to us.  So I asked a couple who were walking what the cost of the Rodeo was and they handed us their 6 tickets.  Sharing that their children didn’t want to come.  The sun had set.  We had free Rodeo tickets.  Darron and I were still dressed in our church clothes.  I’m off to go buy nacho’s and funnel cakes.  The boys are groaning.  I mean we did look a bit misfit.  Everyone else is in cowboy hats and blue jeans and here we are, the geeky Boyd family, parents still in church clothes.  SIGH. GROAN.  Our kids love and hate my spontaneity.

P1030925

P1030926

P1030927

P1030929

Let’s just say when the nachos and cheese started going down, along with funnel cakes, the boys started to relax.  Seats were found.  Parents in church clothes blend in better when they are seating down in bleachers.  Men lassoed cattle and rode bucking horses and tied down cattle.  We laughed at the announcers jokes.  The whole family was having fun.

You never know what might happen when you stop in a small town like Burlington, Colorado.  Throw in a little spontaneity and a whole lot of American generosity and some all down American food and hey, we are talking a fun night out in the middle of no where.  You’ve got to LOVE an American Rodeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts