Preparation, Departure, Take off

For the last two weeks I have been working toward a goal.  Preparing my family for my absence while I attend a medical conference in Thailand.  I am so thankful that I did the bulk of the cooking last week, not this.  As this week we had company and the clinic work was extra demanding, leaving little time in the kitchen.  The freezer is so full of  breads, Chili, pizza dough, pot pie, casseroles, soup, and other concoctions ….. truly these men will not suffer.  But all the boys assured me that by the time I returned they would all be starving (with a little twinkle in their eyes).  If that isn’t enough…..on Wednesday, I have ordered 2 dozen fresh made onion and honey bagels  and 4 dozen tortillas.  Which will be true treats in the land where these do not line the store shelves. 

To be honest with myself and my readers, there were times this week that I grappled with the…..”what if’s”.  I won’t expound on the “what if’s”, because most parents can fill in the thoughts…..especially when it comes to leaving their family and travelling far.  I found myself wanting to put away more food then for just two weeks, “just in case”.  But the freezer only holds so much and I had to scold myself and remind my self that we cannot dwell in the land of the “what if’s”.  It’s not a place that we are meant to venture.  It is ok to venture to the, “I will trust you Lord, to provide”.  That is where my heart finds most peace.

This week, was list week.  Lists for: menu’s, recipe’s, boy’s schedules, normal market purchases, chores, home school studies……..   So much information, that to me is just life.  I began to appreciate what a gift it is that my husband is giving me, to allow me to go away for two weeks. 

Thursday Darron left for meetings in Manado (fully recovered from Malaria).  He returns Monday.  I leave Sunday, before his return.  I think this bit of schedule conflict added a sprinkling of stress to the family.  Fortunately, the village has risen to the challenge to help fill in the gaps while we are both gone.  There is a common saying amongst home schooling parents, “They say it takes a village to raise a child.  I’ve looked at the village and I don’t like it.”  Today I love the village.  This so would not be possible without the friends that are helping us.  Many women here have to leave suddenly on medical emergency trips with one of their children.  No time for meal prep, nothing.  I know these women truly know what it means to weigh in on the village.  That is the beauty of our mission community, they all know what it means to not have family to help out.

One of my younger boys, really struggled with my leaving.  Tears.  Verbalized, wanting to buy a ticket to come with me.  It was so comforting to wrap him in my arms and assure him of my love and to be able to tell him that Jesus promises to comfort him and that every day I could pray that for him.  I love that his mind is old enough to understand that concept and to know that this is faith in action for this young man.

The moment at last came, when Mommy had done all she could do and the clock said that I couldn’t do anymore.  Turned out that I would sit next to  a white man with a thick German accent.  He likes extreme adventures and had just finished hiking through the Papuan jungle for days on end.  He said his brand new $200 dollar boots, lasted 6 days in the jungle.  He talked about hundreds of leeches and trails that were so slippery that each step must be calculated. 

I made it to the guest house in Jakarta with no problem.  Went out to eat, but felt lonely with no one to eat with.  Slept some, but so filled with anticipation of the day ahead flying on to Thailand,that sleep did not come soundly.  The Muslim call is ringing out loudly at 4 a.m. as I finish typing this.  It is time for me to gather my things and head to the airport.  Here’s to my extreme adventure.  Hopefully there will be no leeches and the 5 men will survive and flourish in their male bonding time.

 

As always, thanks for reading and praying!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts