Furnished House

I awoke in great spirits.  Nathaniel's fever was gone, along with stomach issues.  This was the day to go see our potential "new furnished home" for the next 3-4 months.  Darron and I had decided that we would choose to live in the heart of the city for this short period of time to maximize our language learning experience.  I was optimistic as this house was "new".
Language School
After 45 minutes of travel and many hand braking moments as we skim past motorcycle after motorcycle, many loaded with families of 3 or 4.  We arrived at the language school.  "John" was to meet us at 1 p.m.  He finally scooted in on his motorcycle at 1:45 saying he was waiting for me to text him.  Hmmm?!  We then began our 10 minute walk to our "new home".  It was a very narrow street with many motorcycles passing by.  Dozens of little snack shops filled the side of the streets.  Selling everything from juice to time cards for your cell phones.  We followed a filthy water way that was being generated, creating electricity.  Atlas we turned onto a sidewalk type ally and many motorcycles continued to pass by us.  When we arrived to the home, we had to wait 10 or so minutes because a family was inside taking showers.  Hmmmm?!   It was very new and clean but the word "furnished" really took me back, because most rooms were empty.  The kitchen had only a two eye burner and a sink.  I was trying to imagine where to store, serve, and prepare food.

So I felt like the most spoiled American as I started making my list of "necessary" furnishings to "John".  "I will need mattress's, a shelf in the kitchen, a table and chairs, and a refrigerator.  And a washing machine would be really nice, too", I requested.  We went up some finished stairs that led only to a roof top with a cat foaming blood out of it's mouth.  I think that is when I went into culture shock!!!!! : 0






This is your "new furnished kitchen"

Typical Indonesian style bathroom, with squat potty

American style bathroom, but shower right near toilet so everything would get soaking wet.


We really need a furnished home, because we are only going to be here until mid-to end of December.  Tomorrow morning we will look at some Villa's close to where the Gallant's are.  It will be a long commute everyday on public transportation.  We shall see, what tomorrow brings.  Perhaps I just need to change my perspective and world view on what "furnished" means. We consoled our hearts with some Cadbury's chocolate and a prayer that God will lead and provide......furnished or not.


Comments

  1. Praying God provides the perfect place for you Ruth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen so many of these on House Hunters International on HGTV, and wondered how they use a shower that gets everything wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Ruth,
    Your very vivid descriptions brings back nauseating feelings of my arrival to my equally"furnished apt." in Bangkok... However I had it easier, I was young, single and living out of a backpack. You are providing for a family.
    Your city photos, and experiences vividly bring thoughts of: "Really Lord? This is just not as romantic as the lovely grass huts or established missionary homes I imagined." I pray that God will provide the right nest for you and the mind frame for you to accept it. I hope you can find a good shop for bleach and disinfectant! I wish I could help you with your cleaning!
    Blessings and prayers!
    Kristi & Mark K.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts