Who Needs a Kitchen Sink When You Have a Bathtub

There are so many unusual ways here in Indonesia.  I want to spend a few moments trying to capture a few of them for you.  


Vehicles and roadways.  We are fascinated that here in Bandung there are some traffic lights that have digital  clocks beside the lights counting down when it will turn green and red.  60 seconds for both.  Ideal for the Type A personality.  Beats having to look at the other set of lights to see what they are doing.....of which I am frequently guilty.  At the gas stations...one pull in and tells the attendant (usually a woman) how much money they want and she will proceed to pump the gas, engine running.  You never have to get out of your vehicle.  Most people travel on the angkots a smaller version of a mini van with all the seats taken out, replaced with long benches.  So far 22 people has been the record we have counted while on one.  That is with an 8 and 6 year old on our laps along with our groceries.  For the six of us to travel into the heart of Bandung (where our language school is) and back up the mountain it cost's $10 and takes over 4 hours.  To drive in a private car would take approximately an hour and 45 mins.
A quality seat on the angkot!!!


Modesty and weight.  Because of the Muslim influence, the Indonesian people (at least in this area) dress very conservative.  In America,  I feel embarrassed for the scantiness in dress of many of my female race.  Here one would never see a lady in a tank top and absolutely no cleavage showing.  Most women will wear sleeves past their elbows and pants.  The Muslim ladies have beautiful head coverings and have very warm hearts.  I have thoroughly enjoyed our interaction with them.  Rarely do you see anyone overweight.  Though they do have Dunkin Donuts here and it is everywhere.  No doubt about it, we have lost our layer of fat that we gained during the all you can eat buffet for 3 weeks at Mission Institute.
In America we don't really like McDonald's ....now we think it is great!


Food facts.  We went to McDonald's the other morning for breakfast.  I don't think I have ever been so thrilled to go to McDonald's.  It was delicious!!!!!  Slowly we are learning what to order and what not to order.  A language helper at the school showed us where to eat LOCAL food.  Only $3.00 for the 6 of us.  It is post 32 hours and no s/s (signs and symptoms) of any problems so I guess it was safe!  To eat at an American eatery costs over $20.00 (choices consist of Pizza Hut, Dunkin Donuts, Dominoes Pizza, and Wendy's + KFC).  Missing Taco Bell.  I am as slow as molasses grocery shopping currently, because all the labels are so foreign.  Also find all the familiar foods to us extremely expensive.  For example: can of olives $4, cambells soup $4, also the same for a can of beans.  So we pick and choose our treats and are trying to eat more like the local's.


Toilets and squat potties.  When the boys and I were travelling from Bandung to Jakarta at the beginning of the week they all went into the men's bathroom.  Nathaniel, 6, stayed in the longest. Upon my questioning the brothers they stated that he had gone into the squat potty stall.  When he finally came out I asked what had gone on.  He said, "Mommy, there was no toilet paper in there."  I questioned, "Did you sit on that squat potty?"  "Yes, Mommy" was the innocent response.  I cringed the whole way home wondering what germs the child had been exposed too and thankful that soon we would be back with his Daddy who could accompany him into the bathroom's.  Today we were humored with a sign in the bathrooms that showed pictures to not squat on the American style toilet.  


For now I have given you enough of a taste of life here......
we have found a nice home; however it is not available until September 5.  So in the meantime we are hanging out in 2 motel like style rooms.  Today we purchased a one eye electric burner so we could make hot food.  You would have thought I served a 5 course meal when I pulled out some dehydrated beans from our boxes and some taco bell sauce.  Happy boys equals happy Mom.  Who needs a kitchen sink to wash the dishes when you have a bathtub?  
My new dishes! : )  No more 4 bowls and 5 spoons.

The one eye burner and Saturday lunch....red rice, greens, mungo beans,  tomatoes, cucumbers, bread....a feast!

Doing dishes in the bathtub



Comments

  1. Wow! I am sure that I would be hard pressed to survive this type of living with small children. IT would be difficult just for me and Danny. God bless you all. We miss you and love hearing about your adventures. I had to catch up on your adventures since this is the first time this week that I have been able to sit at the computer and dangle my leg for any length of time....Prayer and much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you're writing all this down. I imagine that soon enough it will all feel at least somewhat "normal"; at least the novelty will be gone. Your sense of humor does you well! I'm glad you can laugh even when you are horrified. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you Ruth and family! I'm totally amazed at what you are going through....and still have a sense of humor....God is using you already as His witness....to me in America. Thanks! May God continue to bless. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the squat pot story!! ;-) I remember in the Philippines being happier when it was just a hole in the ground rather than those squat pots.... My kids have had a few run-ins with those in South Africa too... not because Africans use squat pots usually, but because the bathrooms are in such a poor state that all that is left is the porcelain rim. Elise sat on one once! YUCK!! Anyway, LOVE reading your stories!! My blog is at www.hopeworks.ca. I haven't blogged since we left SA, but hope to get back at it soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the joy of real dishes. They are beautiful! I love seeing the boys washing dishes, bathtub and all. What great appreciation skills they are learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last Flight

Change Never Happens Fast, Except Today it Did

Anguished Hearts